Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mirror, Mirror on the wall...

Can I still do the Princess after all????

I knew it was coming...I could FEEL it. But I didn't want to admit it. My interested running partners for the Princess 1/2 in March have backed out. For many different (and legitimate) reasons, they all 3 have decided it wasn't for them. I respect their decisions and understand why they made the decision. I would never want them to feel pressure from me to stay on because they committed too early or for them to do it when they just didn't think they could. I understand and I am not mad at any of them at all. PROMISE. And as I always say on making a decision (and one friend reminded me of this, ha)...If it is not a DEFINITE YES it is a NO! So I support their decisions. BUT...that does not mean I am not disappointed...and Sad. When I got the last I'm Out call yesterday I got off the phone and cried. And called my hubbie and cried some more. And called my coach and yes...cried even more. (I think I need counseling for my crying issue).

Many have said....just do ANOTHER 1/2...don't go all the way to Disney...do one local or in a near by state...wait and do the Princess in 2010 instead. But I don't WANT to do that. I don't WANT to do another 1/2, I want to do the Princess 1/2...I don't want to run a 1/2 in some random downtown in VA or SC where it is just some random city I don't know. I KNOW Disney. And I have grown up with Disney and go there a few times a year...and running in and through the parks and behind the scenes would DEFINITELY keep your mind off things...I don't WANT to do 2010. This is the innagural Princess 1/2 and I want to be part of it. And I wanted to be part of it with some of my wonderful women friends.

But that is not going to happen. At least not with the original group. But I am contemplating sticking with it. Although that is going to be hard. I don't WANT to be there running alone (I know, running with 5,000 people is not running ALONE)...I want to know I am going through this with others I care about. I want to train for it with those ladies. THAT will keep me motivated. But for now I am just SAD and not motivated. I did though, in talking to my coach yesterday hear from her that she might want to do it. She also said there were 2 other ladies in town who are already signed up for it. So that helps...a little. I also might have recriuted another running buddy to join on....but I think she might be a long shot.

So what do I do? Is this a sign? Should I just bag it and just stick with my local 5 & 10k's which I know I can do, and focus on improving myself in those and just do MAINTENANCE running? They are NOT a challenge and will leave my Sat AM's free free free if I want them to be.

Or train my butt off for the next 13 wks and actually accomplish something? They only sweep you off the course if you go below a 16 min mile I think it is. I ran a 10k at an average pace of 10:59min/mile, IN THE RAIN (if you didn't know that already ;) , ha)...so if I did the next 6.7 miles even WALKING I would FINISH. And that is all I want to do is FINISH! And if I do this, I think this will be IT for the 1/2. At least for a while. And I have NO interest in a full marathon, AT ALL...and maybe I will do a half once a yr or so...but I do not want to get crazy with it.

I need to do some soul searching and make a big decision. And if I DO do this...I need to just sign up and CLICK THE BUTTON as they say. Once that Register Now button has been clicked...you are in it.

So decisions decisions...I know I can do it...it is not that...it is just do I WANT to do it under the circumstances. I will miss my friends...and I know if I do this, they will want to duct tape my mouth shut afterwards b/c I will be talking talking talking about it! I can see it now...

Friend: Jules, I just bought a new house? Want to come see it?
Me: 1/2 marathon, 1/2 marathon...did you KNOW I ran a 1/2 marathon?

Friend: Jules, I am moving away to join the Peace Corps.
Me: I ran the princess..I ran the princess...it was awesome, characters everywhere!

Friend: Jules, did you know that we will not have email access in our town for 5 months?
Me: hmm, no email?? That DOES suck. But I got me a Princess Tiara medal...I did the Princes 1/2...yeah me!

But that will be their punishment!! ;) I think they can handle it. Or maybe not...they might WISH they had stayed on board after that! ;)

And remember guys...I DO love you and I am NOT mad at you! I know you read this blog so I just wanted to make sure you knew!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, Jules... I'm sorry. I had no idea that the other two backed out, nor did I ever think they would! I'm sorry I backed out too.

I do agree that going ALL THE WAY to Disney was a deciding factor for me. Personally (and I KNOW you DO care about it, that it's a part of your "growing up") but I'm NOT one that cares about Disney. It doesn't motivate me..

You are in a place in your life where you CAN train for a 1/2 and you should totally do the 1/2 even without us!! You are a runner, girl and you can do it!!

Maybe I'll join you when I'm done birthing babies and have the time to think about randomly running 11 miles on a Saturday!! :)

Love ya, girl.

amanda said...

I think you should GO FOR IT!!! When you race, you probably wouldn't stay with your group anyway. I think all of your points are valid. Why don't you bring the family down with you and make it a fun trip? You can find another group to train with and motivate you. I hear team in training is a great group. You could get with them to train and run your own race.

RunnerMom said...

Amanda made a good point--unless your friends were EXACTLY your pace, you wouldn't have stayed together anyway. If you are comfortable traveling there alone, I say GO FOR IT. I have no doubt you are physically and mentally ready for this challenge--I've been there! Reading your post, it was clear to me what your heart is telling you---keep going, even alone, and do the race!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I am running it and you could run with me!
I just did the Marathon of the Palm Beach this past Sunday (13.1) with a pulled leg muscle and had a great time.

You so need to do this!