Monday, December 15, 2008

my 1st debilitating leg cramp

It had been 6 days since my last run...and I had only run 3 times since the Gobbler on Thanksiving. I went out and was having a nice pace...per the Garmin about 9:30! wow fast (for me, LOL). I was at a mile in less than 10 mins. But luckily there was a potty and a water fountain there around 1 mile. I had come straight from a mtg (changed in the back of my car again, LOL)and had no water and needed to go potty before I set out. So I was happy for the pit stop.

After that I set back out...hit the big hill and just had to walk it. My thighs started cramping....and then my calf of my right leg. This has NEVER happened to me before! And I had been booking it up the earlier hills and felt fine. I was actually shocked at how speedy I was an how easy it seemed. Then came this killer hill I ALWAYS REFUSE TO WALK....but this was not about being tired and stopping. I was about PAIN. Weird. SO I walked it. SLOWLY. And got to the top and still walked...then ran some then had leg pain and walked, then ran some more...then pain, then ran...the walked the rest of th way. My stretches at the end about killed me. That leg was awful. That muscle was so tight I could not move that leg to do toe taps or calve raises or anything. So weird. But it is better now and I think FINE. Just need to really pre-stretch better next time...which WILL be this week. No more time off. I am back...slowly and maybe in a little disomfort but back.

Mileage YTD: 207+

1 comment:

RunnerMom said...

Weird---dehydration? Low electrolytes/salt? Not enough potassium? Maybe just the hills.

The one time that happened to me at the end of a race, I had been running lots of hills with no electrolyte-replacement fluid (remember the butt-cramp post?)

I hope you figure out what caused it so you can avoid it! How was the rest of the week?