Monday, September 8, 2008

2 + 2 = 4

Ok, so my running story from this weekend is interesting to say the least. And parts of it TMI, but stay with me....I had ALL good intentions of getting up Sat AM at 7:30 to run. Really I did. I even got out of bed at 7:20 to assess what was Hurricane Hanna pounding us with rain. I was a little bummed b/c as I looked out the bedroom window at all of the rain I realized I couldn't go out. So...I went back to bed. And it was nice. I got up again at 8:30. It seemed to have sort of stopped but was windy. I again chose not to go out...even though I knew it was a perfect temp and the slight rain would allow me to run farther. But I skipped out. Then about 9:00 am as I was still contemplating, Olivia announced that Daddy had run out to get bagels. Which means I couldn't leave since he was gone...and it also means that some yummy goodness was on its was home...and that I would eat said yummy goodness and not be able to run....and then the sun would come out and it would get hotter and we would have an event to go to at 1:00pm...and then it would be even hotter when we got home at 3:00...and I would then proceed to take a nap from about 4:15 till 7:30 pm!!!! So um yeah...didn't run on Saturday.

Sunday comes around and I again set my alarm for 7:30. At 7:15 I wake up and turn it off. TOO EARLY. But I do get up about 8:30 and OFFICIALLY go out the door close to 9am. I decided to go to a track belonging to a local Day School a mile or so from my house. I thought 1) the track would have no hills and that would be nice and 2) I could see what my official no hill 1 mile time was (not racing). So I drove over, went out onto the track and started. The sun was behind a few clouds so it wasn't too hot. There was a slight breeeze too so I thought this woudl be great. One mile is 4 laps. And it was not EASY or enjoyable for some reason. I was not liking the no hills and no trees and the BORINGNESS of going 'round and 'round and 'round the track. And I was super tired for some reason. I finished a mile in about 10 mins 40 secs...which is sort of slow but again, I was just running, not racing.

After that 1 mile I did something I have not done since maybe mid June I think. I walked. I walked for about 1 minute as part of my run. And I was glad I did. Then I started up again running. And I knew I wasn't going to like the 2nd mile. After about 2 laps I was getting a stomach rumbling. And not just the "I am hungry" kind...it was more the "I need a bathroom NOW" kind. But I continued on thinking it would go away. And it didn't. (here is where some of the TMI comes in.) I finished my 2nd mile at an 11:45 pace. SLOW for a flattop with no hills. I blame the stomach pain. And I couldn't have finished soon enough. I was concerned I couldn't make it to my car much less the trip home.

I had heard before about runners needing to go potty (lol) on long runs and having to stop in the woods and hoping for some fresh leaves to wipe with, LOL But that situation had never happened to me until Sunday. And I was NOT going to go at the Day School in their field. So I jumped in my car...sped home...went in the downstairs bathroom...did my business and went right back out. I KNOW hubbie was wondering what was going on. I didn't see him but the door beeps when you open and close it...so he had to have known I came and went.

As I was driving away from my house I was laughing at how funny it was. But I knew I was NOT going back the the track. So I went to the park....and ran 2 more miles. And it was easy and nice and cool and shaded. I should have run another 2, and I could have...but I thought 2+2=4 and I had done 4 and that was enough.

As I drove back home I returned a call from a friend. I was telling her my story and she told me her dad had to do the same thing this wknd on his run....only he went in the woods! Glad I live nearby! And when I later told hubbie the story he thought it was hilarous. And he said he was impressed that I came home and went back out. He said if he come home he would have TOTALLY not gone back out. So I guess I am becoming die hard!! Maybe I should start carrying a little bit of toilet paper with me in the future, JUST IN CASE! ;)

3 comments:

Susan D. said...

So funny & so true! We used to run at Battleground Park and there were many a day that I had to make a pit stop at the potty! One of joys of running, I guess!

MHL said...

Very funny. I had a similar issue happen to me a couple of weeks ago and I barely made it back to my house. I wuused out though and called it a day at that point.

amanda said...

I could tell you what my friend calls that, but then you might not want to be my friend.