Thursday, October 2, 2008

I continue to get Schooled...

Well...I started a Janes on the Run class (approx 30 people) on Tues's at the end of April to train for the July 4th 5k....then I started another BIG Janes class (approx 300 people, but the dropout rate left about 150) at the end of July to train on Thur's for the Women's Only 5k on Oct 4 (this wknd).....and this week I started another regular size (30 people approx) Jane's class on Tuesdays again. I had wanted to do the 10k class but she didn't have enough interest when it started and it was canceled...so I joined on with the 5 k group. Which is fine. I mean 5k is basically 3.1 miles...a pretty normal everyday run for me (except for last week when I ran lots fo 2 milers, boo)...so the group is not really a challenge (except for HILLS)...but it gets me out...holds me accountable to come to class....lets me meet new people....gets me in shape...and did I mention the BEST part? It is FREE this time!!! Why? Because I was placed to be a Show N Go leader. Basically a Show N Go is where you and others meet up at a running spot at a set time like Sat AM's or Wed PM's to run. There is someone there as a representative of the Janes on the Run group (that would be ME) to take roll, help the people who show up with stretches, run with groups that need a coach or run with someone to help them, make sure everyone returns from the run and stretches out, etc. FUN!

My coach mentioned to me that if I helped as a S&G leader that I could get class for FREE! WOOT! So of COURSE I signed up! I mean WHO doesn't love them something that is FREE!! And before I even knew I would get a free class I agreed to do it. I thought it would be fun and a good way to give back to a group and coach who has done so much for me and helped me create my new lifestyle. And the cool thing is....ET is gonna do it with me. I had emailed our main Janes coach to tell her how excited I was about the S&G's about how great it was to see her out cheering us on the other night with the BIG group and how ET & I missed her so much (b/c with the big group we are divided up with individual coaches and our main coach just kind of runs the whole show but is not our individual group coach). She then said "well why don't you ask ET if she wants to do it too...you all could alternate doing S&G's each week and have some flexibility...and BOTH get a free class!!" So I immediately called ET and she agreed and VOILA...here we are in class #3, for free. FUN. I LOVE IT.

Being an S&G leader should be interesting though. Not hard but just kind of neat and maybe scary to be "in charge" I guess of an organized run. What if someone gets lost? What if someone gets hurt? What if I forget the stretches to show everyone? What if the people I am leading do the hills with no problems and blow me out of the water? LOL

We'll let you know how it goes! We start soon. :)

And wish us luck at the Women's Only 5k on Sat AM to benefit breast cancer research....I am running in honor of my Mom. I hope to beat my old 5k time from July 4th of 35:57 gun time/35:50 by my watch (there was no timing chip for that race, so of course in a big crowd you don't even START over the starting line for a few seconds, so the gun time is not always your exact time). I would LIKE to be able to beat my watch time by at LEAST a minute, making my time 34:50 or less...I would prefer to finish in 34 mins but I don't know if I can do that. That would mean an 11:40 min mile...I SURELY can do that, b/c that is SLOW...but I do know there are some sucky hills. We'll see!

2 comments:

RunnerMom said...

Congrats on becoming a S and G coach-type person. It is so fun to encourage new runners and watch as they discover the sport you love.

amanda said...

My mile is much slower than that, but I'm totally starting from scratch and working to figure out how to do it with my asthma.

I didn't know they had show and go's on wednesdays. i wanted to sign up for another Jane's class but my new job will keep me busy on t,w,th. maybe they'll have a monday meeting sometime. Good luck. I know you'll be a great motivator. I bet you could even teach one of the small groups for next year's big running school.