Thursday, July 2, 2009

7 miles...yes!!!!!!!!!!

Today I (and many others) needed/wanted to get in 7-8 miles. That would normally be our Staurday long run...but many folks were going out of town, too lazy to do that on Saturday or had other things to run like a 5k race (me!) on Saturday.

So today our big group of Crazy Ladies decided to tackle the 7-8 distnace AND a new route at 5:45 am. New routes are always exciting...and today did not disappoint. Probably because .5+ miles in we ran past some shady, sleeping man in the woods on the side of the trail. It was a shocker...but he almost seemed like he had just decided to take a rest and was not homeless. Either way, it was weird.

So we quickly ran past him and coutniued out on our trail (we did not see him again on our return route, thank goodness). We decided to take the greenway farther out and ended up going out 3.5 miles all the way to Bur-Mil, and then turned around. The faster ladies in our group (Ria, ET & Susan) were ahead of us of course. And we saw that they were going out a little farther than 3.5 before they turned around...but not us...we got to 3.5...and were maybe .1+ from a nice turning point/intersection...but we decided "our Garmin says 3.5...we are turning around NOW". ha Slackers!

So we turned around and booked it back. And it was amazing. Read ET & Susan's accounts of this run on their blogs...we are all feeling the same thing. It was remarkably EASY. Yes, 7 miles was EASY! It was maybe 68 degrees....there were no beast.of.a.hills...it was a new fun route...all wonderful. We did have to sort of walk up one yucko hill, a tiny short steep hill...and my running partner was having some back pain at the end, so we had to slow a little more than normal...but we made it. We were at 6 miles and I couldn't believe it! And of course even though the fasties turned around after us, they of course caught up with us again! hee hee But when we got to almost 7, I was amazed and in shock. I had been out of water for almost a mile and it was OK. And you KNOW me and my water...I NEED my water. And when we finished there was no panting or huffing and puffing. I almost wanted to go another mile with our fast friends who all decided to do 8 ,(even though it was on only 1 persons plan...die hards!), but they were long gone and I was short on time.

8 will be for another day. For now I will just be in love with 7. Looking forward to it again. WOW...I can't BELIEVE I said that! I am truly crazy running girl!

I do have the July 4th 5k on Saturday. This was my first 5k race last yr. I did run a pseudo 2 miler the wk before last yr...but this race was my 1st real one. And here I am a year later. Doing 7 miles and training for a half marathon!! And I will be running in this race, but also there to cheer on a longtime friend who is doing Janes for the 1st time. This will be her 1st race. So proud of her. And at the rate/slowness I am going lately...she might even get to the finish line before me. And that's OK!

2 comments:

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

68 degrees? ooh I'm jealous! CONGRATS on the great 7 mile run, and good luck racing tomorrow!

amanda said...

You gave it away at the end, but I was already going to congratulate you on how far you've come in a year. I remember how stinking hot it was last year for your 5K. I am so thankful that you introduced me to Janes on the Run. Life caught up with me after the Women's Only last year, and I've only run a few times since, but I'm still so proud that I did it at all. My schedule has changed again and life seems to have settled a bit, so I'm registering next week for the running school for this year's Women's Only and this time i'm going to STICK WITH IT. I already spotted a visor and water bottle to make the journey a little easier. I'm excited!