Monday, May 17, 2010

And the training begins...

So we are in FL on vacation.  Today I needed to run.  It was rainy and overcast most of the day.  Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be better.  Which means HEAT early in the day...which means getting up EARLY to beat the heat...which means I did not want to do that.  So I ran here at the beach today.  Not ON the beach but AT the beach...on the sidewalk on the main road.  BOY - the 1.5 mile trek out seemed to go on for FOREVER. Geesh.  it was cool sort of...but because of all the rain from before it was also HUMID.  And I was sweating, which I don't do a lot.  Then I turned around and went 1.5 back...and that too took an eternity.

I didn't die...it wasn't HARD but it was like running through jello.  As someone said on FaceBook, running in the humidity is like running through a slush curtain.  I agree.

This week is the start of 16 weeks of training again for the VA Beach 1/2 which takes place Labor Day weekend.  16 weeks of getting up 2 days a week to run at 5:45 am to beat the heat...16 weeks of no partying on Friday nights because I have to get up super early on Saturday's for long runs.  16 weeks of feeling sick all day on Friday's because I have those long runs on Saturday's.  And last year my plan started with 3-4 miles being the long run my first few wks.  This year it starts with 6.5 since I am SOOO experienced.  NOT.

But I am looking forward to it...believe it or not.  If only for the reason to look like the picture at the top of this blog again.

No comments: