TODAY was trail run day with our long run for Janes! I have never really even walked on trails (yes, girlie girl that I am) much less been running on trails. And I can tell you it was an interesting experience.
For our group we had a few 7 milers and a few 6 milers. I was in the 6 miler group. I haven't been 6 miles straight without walking since the Boo Bash Dash I don't think (I don't count the 1/2 in May b/c I walked before I got to 6). So I knew this would be interesting. We started out from a local park...did a little road work...then hit the greenway (a paved path/trail under a lot of tree cover...NICE!). Then after about 1.5 we were on the trails. We did about .5 of one I think. Then gathered together again at the end of a trail...then did another 2 on the trail (I am a little hazy on the mileage here, but you get the picture). At this point we were at 4 miles and we stopped to "Goo"/GU. LOL Basically we stopped to get hydrated...and for those of you who are not familiar with GU's...we stopped to GEL...take these energy type gels in little packets. Mine was blueberry pomegranate. Not bad...but I prefer plain I think. I tried a GU for the 1st time at the NC 1/2...and it was plain. So, I think the gel did a good job today...because after that, I DID seem to have a little more KICK in my step...or maybe it was all in my head. But after we GU'd, we hit the paved greenway again...then the street...then some brutal hills back up around the park where we started. All in all the 6 miles took my group about 1:17. Now, I DID stop my Garmin (YES, he is back!) while we had little stops and hydrate times...but we were also for about 2.5 miles, going a Trail Pace...which was defintely a lot slower than regular pace. You HAVE to be on the lookout for roots, mud, snakes (ICK) and other unpleasant things. In fact...a friend of ours who is in the Crazy Girls (early AM running group on weekdays) busted her butt. I was right behind her when she tripped on a root or lost her footing and went down. It scared me to death. We stopped to help her but she wanted to get up and keep going. She has 2 big scratched areas on her legs and she told me this afternoon that she is having a little soreness in her back but all in all, she is ok. So... after busting, superwoman got up and started running again and booked it up a big ole' trail hill when everyone else was kind of walk/running it. LOL
So today was interesting...not sure if I like trails or loathe them. It was interesting and fun...BUT I don't like worrying the whole time that I am going to hurt myself and my running "career" (LOL) will be over. But at least it was an experience. And I got in 6 miles. Can't complain about that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, what an exciting run! I loved all your details. That's why I don't run on trails though--you worry the whole time that you are going to roll an ankle (or break a leg!) and your running is over.
I'm so glad you found the crazy girls to run with early in the morning. It makes such a difference, doesn't it? I had two friends come run with me at 6:15 the other morning. I wouldn't have gone otherwise!
Post a Comment