Wednesday, May 7, 2008

OG Mommy Runs???

OK, so I am starting this a bit late...but I will go back and do a recap of the last few weeks if anyone cares...



March 27: It all started on this date. I am at a networking event with a friend. She is talking about her Running School. I am like “what, running school? What the heck is that?”. She explains to me that it is a once a week class, for 10 weeks that works you up to be able to run a 5k (hopefully) in 10 weeks. There are more levels like 10k or boot camp…but the program she is in is the 5k. It is for folks who maybe have run before but not in a while and newbies, like her. I asked her to send me some info…and she did. Basically this class teaches you how to run, how to pace yourself, educates you on all aspects of running, warming up, cooling down, working yourself up. etc Sounds dumb, but apparently it works.

You DO have to pay for this program, like almost $100…but with that you get a free gym membership (normally $65 a mth) , coaching, fitness assessments, a cool running shirt etc....oh yeah, and you get SUPPORT! I eould NEVER be able to do this with just ME out there running...I have to be held accountable or I would never do it.

SOOO, I signed up…and I recruited 4 friends to run with me. 2 of them have run half marathons or more before (but don’t run anymore)…and the other 2 are at least sort of athletic, ex: played some sort of sport as kids, in high school etc…then there is ME! Never played a sport, not the least bit athletic…basically PATHETIC and out of shape. LOL

So…this is my journey to running a 5k. We’ll see how it goes…wish me luck!

No comments: